Friday, October 17, 2008

Day 3

Last night was another crazy night- She woke up calling for mother and crying at least 8-10 times. Each time, I went downstairs to check on her- Around 5am- I took her to the bathroom and she did have a small bowel movement- I was so happy that she had not used the bathroom in her bed- I really bragged on her- put her back to bed and woke up around 7am when my oldest son- Jay was tapping me on the shoulder saying Grandma was crying and calling for mother- I couldn't understand why I didn't hear her on the monitor- and then Jerry said he had turned it off the last time I went down because he thought I was going to stay downstairs with her. I found her laying in the bed with her diaper off and gown pulled up- crying that she had messed up her bed- She had another bowel movement and I quickly cleaned up what I could and put her on the bedside toilet where she finished the BM. She was upset with herself and I just reassured her it was okay- I went ahead and got her in the shower and dressed her and put her in her lift chair where she ate her grits and drank cofffee. By 9am she was sleeping soundly and I let her sleep for 2 hours- mostly because I was exhausted and needed to sleep too! She woke up very confused and around this time my sister called and said she was coming by in a while- when she arrived, she offered to stay with Momma so that I could get out for a few hours and run errands. I felt like a free bird!! I picked up a few items for her at the Pharmacy and also asked the pharmacist about suggestions for sleep- she mentioned Melatonin- which is a vitamin supplement- So I bought it. Next I went to Target to pick up a few groceries and other stuff- It felt so good to get out of thehouse- and this is only the third day!!! After my sister left, momma seemed really normal -we talked like old times, and Allie, our dog, decided she needed to become friends with Momma- who has never been a dog person- Allie cimbed up into her lap and snuggled up close to her and I could tell Momma really liked it- She said"Allie- youré going to make a liar out of me"! As the two of them sat and snuggled in the recliner, I put up groceries and carried on a conversation with her hoping to keep her awake! Around 5:30 she decided she was hungry and wanted some Chicken Salad- I used the recliner to lift her a bit and then put the walker in front of her to hold onto and my plan was to get her to walk to the kitchen table- only a few steps away- suddenly. she just slid all the way to the floor and sat there crosslegged- I was determined to get her up- because I knew my husband and the boys would not be home until late- after all, it was Friday night and Jay had a football game- I tried one time- which didn't work and then with all the determination and strength I could muster- I picked her up and put her in the wheelchair- I knew that when I did it Iwas taking a chance at hurting my back- and I think I probably have- however I did not tell her- this incident upset her and she ended up eating just very little of her supper-I bought a puzzle at Target today, and she and I have always loved working puzzles- so I pulled her up to the table and found some extra lamps in order for her to be able to see- and we began working the puzzle- we got the border done and then watched the crazy show "Wife Swap"- after the TV show, I could tell she was tired so I began getting her ready for bed- I gave her the night time meds plus the new Melatonin supplement- I also had purchased a relaxation Cd and a small Cd player for her in hopes of helping her sleep- I rubbed down her leg with pain cream and tucked her in for the night- I figured a hot bath in our jacuzzi tub would be just what my back needed and it did feel good- but as I sit at the computer and type this blog- my back is killing me! I have heard her three times on the monitor and she called for mother once-I checked on her once and she seemed to be asleep- which is what I hope to get alot of tonight! Maybe the boys and Jerry wont wake her when they come in from the game- I will call and warn them- .............

No comments: